While it may be the humblest of buildings, the typical garden shed offers a huge amount of versatility, with shed owners these days using the structure for all sorts of purposes. Traditionally, sheds have been used as storage for garden tools and paraphernalia – and by many people they still are. However, these days many people use their sheds for a wide range of other purposes too, from working and creating through to relaxing and simply grabbing some 'me' time away from the chaos of the main house.
No matter what you use your shed for the fact is that it adds a valuable and practical component to your garden. Sadly, many people pay little attention to their garden sheds and simply let them fall into a dreadful state of disrepair to the point where they are pretty much useless for anything other than tearing down. If you want to make the most of your garden shed – and help to make your garden look a lot nicer at the same time – one thing you can do is save your shed by giving it a vital makeover.
Tips to revitalise your shed
Of course, the type of makeover you give your shed will depend on what you plan to use it for. Some people may want to spruce up their shed so that they can effectively use it for the traditional storage of garden tools and equipment. However, others may want to utilise the space for other things such as work or a hideout. So, the first thing you need to do is decide what you want to use your shed for. Once you've done this, you can start looking at ways to give it the makeover it needs so that it is fit for purpose and will enhance the overall look of your garden.
Some tips to help you give your shed that much-needed makeover include:
* Decide on the purpose: Before you begin, make sure you spend some time working out what you want to use your shed for. There is little point putting loads of shelves and hooks up if you want it as a relaxation den and there is no point kitting it out with chairs and a portable TV if you are going to use it for storage.
* Have a good clear-out: The next step is to give your shed a good clear-out, which is something you will need to do no matter what you plan to use it for. Don't be tempted to hoard things that you have slung in there over the years – get rid of all the junk, empty the shed completely, and get all those broken tools and old toys down to the skip.
* Clean from top to bottom: The next thing you should do is give your shed a thorough cleaning from top to bottom. This might take some doing, as it may have been clogged up with rubbish for years. However, this is time well spent and will give you a fresh canvas with which to work.
* Sort out the interior: When it comes to sorting out the interior, you will need to refer back to your chosen purpose for the shed. If you plan to use it for storage, put up some shelves and hooks, and get it organised so that it provides more efficient storage. If you plan to use it as a chill out area, invest in a couple of comfy foldaway chairs, a small table, and other homely finishing touches. In short, you need to think of what will make the shed practical based on its intended use.
* Sort out the exterior: You also need to look at the exterior of your shed, as this can help to make it look more inviting as well as adding overall appeal to your garden. Consider a coat of quality weatherproof varnish for protection. You may want to brighten it up with some colourful outdoor wood paint. If you are feeling really creative, you could even opt for themed decor based on what you are using the shed for.
Once you have completed your shed makeover, you will have a whole new space to call your own and far better looking garden.
Delivery driver was extremely helpful. The pixie playhouse is beautiful BUT absolute nightmare to build.
Jez John, Feb 21, 2019
Outstanding quality for the price. Everything MM perfect fit, flawless. ;-)
Kim Snowball, Dec 12, 2018
Excellent product. The experienced shed builder found the instructions somewhat lacking, particularly in relation to the roof. However it looks good and is waterproof. After sales service was both good and not so good. Sid was good. As was the presales representative Natalie.
Leila Tedman, Nov 23, 2018
I visited the premises to see the sheds and quality of the product before making a decision.
The company were able to make a pent shed to the specific size I wanted. Adam was very helpful and knowledgeable about the sheds they sell.
My bespoke shed was delivered and erected - thanks Jamie and helper - 9 days later.
Great service and product. I can recommend them.